When reading the different descriptions, many adaptogens can seem almost identical in their benefits. But each adaptogen has its own unique identity and personality. So that one might work better for you than another. This is why it might require trial and error to find your personal favourites – and trust me, it’s worth it!
And although many will feel the effects instantly after taking certain adaptogens, it may take a while before you notice any changes (and it’s probably says something good between you and me). So, it’s worthwhile sticking to an adaptogen for at least a month or so before trying a different one. Of course, if you’re experiencing any discomforts, it might be a sign this particular adaptogen and you are not best fit for one another, and you might want to seek a professional advice.
So, let’s dig right in - how to choose adaptogens?
- Start by identifying the challenges you have, imbalances you feel or goals you’d like to achieve. We love using journaling as a way to identify and record these.
- Now that you know what you want to improve, find the adaptogen that’ll help you achieve those desired benefits (i.e. do your research!).
- Now, tune in! Really feel how you feel when taking the adaptogens and record it! This is the best way to identify which one best fit you. You can find creative ways to consume adaptogens here. And you can also get our custom “adaptogenic journal” by clicking here.
It’s time for our “In-depth guide to choosing adaptogens – find your fit” (and we encourage mix and match):
- Lion’s Mane – just what you need to increase brain function, concentration, focus and memory. The key to education success.
- Cordyceps – boosts your mental power and drive (we both know motivation is a scares resort while being a student).
- Tulsi – to unwind and relax your mind after a full day of stressing about exams. And for having a good night sleep – so you can continue doing so tomorrow!
- Reishi – provide stress relief, calmness and centred feeling to release the worrying muscle.
- Ashwagandha – traditionally been used for people experiencing anxiety, nervousness and insomnia, Ashwagandha is the perfect adaptogen to quite literally help you chill.
- Mucuna Pruriens – increased dopamine in the brain will give you a boost of good mood and happier dreams so the things you worry about look just a bit further away.
For better periods:
- Ashwagandha – PMS symptoms ramp up whatever stress you’re feeling. Giving your adrenals some love during this time can help you better manage symptoms.
- Cordyceps – can your cravings get out of controls sometimes? Cordyceps helps balance blood sugar, which can be the root of those cravings. Also, balancing the endocrine system, Cordyceps can help balance hormones.
- Mucuna Pruriens – help reduce levels of prolactin, which in turn can reduce menstrual discomfort.
- Chaga – high in nutrients and antioxidants. Make the perfect travel companion, helping you keep your energy and immunity while away from your usual routine (and coffee!!).
The aphrodisiac seeker:
- Ashwagandha – improves stamina and sexual health. It’s believed to increase sexual desire in both men and women (YES!!).
- Mucuna – has been shown to improve libido and sexual function as well as being a great overall hormonal balancer.
- Cordyceps – enhances libido and drive. No need to add anything else.
The one that’s always sick:
- Turkey Tails – supports a healthy gut flora, which is the key for a strong immune system. It also contains beta-glucan, a carbohydrate that boosts the immune system.
- Chaga – has immense power to heal, strengthen and support the immune system. And is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
The ones who’s got the blues:
- Mucuna Pruriens – with increased dopamine in the brain signalling comes a delicious mood boost. So, you might experience more vivid dreams and deeper sleep.
- Tulsi – is a soothing adaptogen that can help balance the nervous system, bring a feeling of harmony and kiss the blues away.
- Ashwagandha – reduce stress hormone (cortisol) production as well as the effect that it has on your body.
The beauty queen:
- Chaga - is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants and also contains high levels of vitamins D and B that are essential for our skin, hair and general glowing feeling.
- Reishi – hello beauty sleep! Deep and quality sleep is absolutely crucial for healthy and glowing skin and you already know it. So, gear up with bed-time rituals and add reishi to them now.
- Cordyceps – energy booster time! Boosts your energy (and libido) by allowing more oxygen to stream through your body and support your lungs. That’s what we call, part of the first-aid kit for the athlete!
- Maiitake – First thing first, when you train you know that when recover time is short you can come back and train more and harder. This is where maiitake comes to cut recover time.
Obviously, there are more nuisances to all these amazing plants and mushrooms, and these are very general recommendations to help you make an informed decision when searching for the perfect adaptogen for you.
We also recommend experimenting as not one adaptogen is a perfect for everything. For more questions and enquiries, contact us at email@example.com